Saturday, June 13, 2026

Our simple life

 "I can't believe that just yesterday we were sitting in shelters again, and here we are now as if nothing had happened, going on that shopping trip you love so much," I said to my granddaughter yesterday morning.

"We are probably the only people in the world who are more afraid of rain than missiles and rockets," she replied.

Later, when we were sitting in the restaurant, she said, "I can't believe I'm already 16," and I told her that I couldn't believe that in a few years I'll be eighty, I feel like I was 16 just yesterday.

She looked at me and said, Grandma, you really aren't old.

This is a picture from one of those shopping trips back then. She's taller than me now, and we both know I'm no longer sixteen, but she loves to make me happy.

31 comments:

  1. Yesterday you were sitting in the shelters again, asking heaven for safety. And I am sure you were very anxious about all of your family _not_ in the shelters with you - parents, spouse, children, grandchildren and siblings.

    I would be emailing every single day :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the evening they announced that all schools were canceled, so we were more or less prepared. At six in the morning the alarms started going off, and in the evening everything was quiet again. I always find that the fear before it happens is more intense, but in the moment of truth there is only action, less fear. It's a strange mechanism.

      Delete
  2. How resilient you are, modeling valor every day. Including shopping trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always surprised anew by the way we accept this abnormal reality. When it was announced in the evening that schools were being canceled throughout the country due to the fear of missiles, my daughter sent me a picture of a table full of food they had ordered from several restaurants and wrote "We are ready"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart girl!! Happy to hear you have some sort of normalcy. Grandchildren bring so much joy, and wisdom, at every age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you have lovely granddaughters like yours, Linda, you know how wonderful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family is everything. Your granddaughter is lovely and wise beyond her years. Enduring this time of war/crisis can't be easy. Even bravery just goes so far.
    To many lives are being lost. The war/crisis needs to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since she was born, she has experienced the threat of missiles, alarms, and nights in a sheltered room. Fortunately, she is a happy, non-anxious child. I too hope for days of peace,

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry you have to go through this while I am "down here" in relative safety and normalcy. It's so nice to have grandchildren or young people to keep up the optimism!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, we also have many moments and hours of peace and joy. Thank you Judy.

      Delete
  8. Your granddaughter has blue hair, how lovely! My grandchildren are all very young, between 18 months and ten years.
    I hope you are all safe and well, it is good to hear from you.
    Wishing you all the best
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Hilde. The picture is from years ago, she had a moment when she wanted blue hair and I went with it. I'm glad you're happy with your grandchildren too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My eldest grandchild was 16 last week......I wonder what colour her hair is now! She dyed it black a few years ago, from a dark blonde, and it was quite a shock when she first appeared with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS Good to hear that you are all OK and coping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Frances. Her hair color is now half dark blonde (natural) and half platinum blonde (dyed). They never cease to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I approach my 80th, I can hardly believe that it's happening. My brain tells me that I'm 25, but the rest of me admits to being 99.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad I can still run, it's necessary here on the way to the shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grandchildren can be such a blessing, can't they.
    There is so much hatred and cruelty in the world, sometimes I despair for the young ones and sometimes I think they will be the saviours of their own futures.
    Sending love. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina.I'm happy that despite everything, my grandchildren turned out to be happy, intelligent children who understand this world.

      Delete
  16. The young people like your granddaughter give me hope for the future. And I am sure you have shown her a good outlook on life. Sending love and gratitude for your voice from Israel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you am.I know I learned a lot from them too.

      Delete
  17. Glad you are doing well and having a few moments of normalcy. Hopefully, all of Iran’s madness will end soon and everyone can live in peace. Keeping you in my prayers. Wanda, NC, USA

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Wanda.It's an emotional roller coaster with everything happening around us, moments of silence and moments of fear of death, I really hope we survive this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How nice to have a pleasant day out with your granddaughter. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Ellen.We have quite a few good days together, and as my daughter says, it's understandable that she loves spending an entire day with me so much... I must have been doing something right all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am keeping up with news Yael but only just found your post here. As always, thinking of you. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Rachel, I know you care.

    ReplyDelete