Tomorrow is our New Year's Eve. In previous years there was always excitement in the air. As if something good was about to happen, lots of good hopes and a feeling that the future is good.
Excitement for our family meals, chicken soup with dumplings, chopped liver, gefilte fish and sweet challah.
This year we are still licking our wounds. And all the time the fear and anxiety that at any given moment someone will be happy to spoil our holiday again.
There will be festive meals and there will be forced joy. Because that's who we are, always rising from the ashes and moving on.


Dear Yael, I wish you and your family and your country all the best for the New Year. I pray for a solution for the whole region that will bring peace and safety and a normal life for everybody who wants it, which surely is most of the people living there.
ReplyDeleteHilde in Germany
Thank you Hilde, I join your prayers.
DeleteHappy New Year, Yael. I think of you often and am glad to see you posting again. I worry when you go silent. If I were a praying person, I'd pray for your health and safety and for peace in the new year.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, Thank you, I am happy for your kind thoughts and appreciate it very much.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Yael and family. I hope that you had a lovely time yesterday with nothing to worry about!
ReplyDeleteI had given up looking for a post from you after I was getting a message saying only certain people could access your posts. Just thought I would click on you and there you are! So pleased to see you back.
Thank you Frances. When my blog is muted, a message appears as if it is invite-only, but it is not really so.
ReplyDeleteAll the best to you and your beloveds in the new year. That food looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteThank you Amanda, it was a quiet and peaceful holiday, I hope it continues like this.
ReplyDeleteHappy new year! Let's hope the next one is more peaceful and less stressful than the last.
ReplyDeleteThank you Steve.
DeleteYael
ReplyDeleteWe should all fast well and hopefully the New Year will be a safe and peaceful one.
I wanted my grandson to come for Australia for the holidays, but I know that isn't going to happen. Do you have your family close by, to share the meals and shule services?
I hope that eventually your grandson will decide to come to you. The family here is close and we see each other often, not just on holidays. We don't go to the synagogue, but we celebrate the holidays in our own way. I wish you a happy new year.
DeleteWishing you a very Happy and Safe New Year! Keeping you in my prayers. Wanda
ReplyDeleteThank you Wanda. It's so encouraging and gratifying that there are those who only want good things to happen here.
ReplyDeleteHappy new year. I hope things are cooling down, in all senses.
ReplyDeleteThank you. It's quiet now, but all senses are alert, and as someone who understands the area very well, you can certainly understand why.
ReplyDeleteHello Yael. I think you must have posted this whilst Mr Blogger was misbehaving; and I missed it. I'm sure your new year will be quieter. The trouble-makers will have less funds, and less willingness to lose their fight. There will always be a few fanatics, but the IDF seem very efficient at finding them. Best wishes, Cro x
ReplyDelete