Saturday, November 11, 2023

 

The picture is from another time. The children grew up in the meantime.

On my last visit to them in a conversation with the fifteen year old grandson, he wanted to give me an example of an irrational decision and gave as an example my decisions to travel to them while there is a danger of rockets. It was his attempt to show me how sometimes emotion makes us make irrational decisions. I was very happy that this was the example he chose.                                                                         I'm still debating how and what to write here. Do people really want to read with their morning coffee about such a harsh reality? On the other hand, this is my blog and maybe this is my place to write what really hurts me.                                                                                                                                                  I find myself arguing with people on other blogs, arguing in a way that only great pain and deep anxiety can bring out of me and I have a hard time with it because it leaves me in great helplessness in the face of the lack of understanding that exists regarding the real situation.                                                          The position of a victim is a position that the world accepts with understanding, but as soon as the victim is fighting for his life and does not have a multitude of options to choose from, things change.                                                                                                                                                                       I will soon be on the road again, a relative asked me to take him to visit my daughter, for the past few weeks he has been afraid to join me and if the relative calm continues we will set off. The problem is on the way, you have to get out of the car and lay on the ground, I can lie down, I'm not sure I can get up easily. I hope I don't have to test it.

29 comments:

  1. Write as you see fit Yael, we all need to know that you are at least well and safe. Take care, and think about whether journeys are dangerous before you embark on one. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thelma. I returned safely.

      Delete
    2. What happaned to your blog Thelma? i can't find it.

      Delete
  2. Before shabbat came in yesterday, there was a horrible street fight in front of a shule, between supporters of both sides of the war. Only a couple of people were hospitalised, but the sense of fear is inevitably rising.

    Shabbat shalom Yael. Always shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hear about everything here and our hearts ache.

      Delete
  3. Your news of any sort is always welcome Yael, family and all other things you choose to tell. Your grandson is growing into a fine, intelligent young man by the sound of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the laying on the ground for security checks or is it for safety under attack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is for safety under attack.

      Delete
    2. It's a kind of illusion. If the missile falls the ground won't really protect you.

      Delete
    3. There is an inverted cone of safety if you are quite close to an explosion at ground level. Better to lie down.

      Delete
  5. You should write whatever you feel like expressing, Yael. It is your blog and anyone who disagrees can always just not read it. I continue to wish for some resolution and your continued safety and wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JayCe. Finding the balance is very difficult for me.

      Delete
  6. Write what you want, Yael, so we can hear what it is like for you. Hoping you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ellen. In the end I really write what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I think like Ellen D. wrote so much better than I should.I must confess that it’s really hard for me to have a firm opinion, so I listen to all the radio programs on the history of this land and political history too. A long time ago I went for a week in Jerusalem and Haïfa from Cyprus . I love to hear Hebraic language and songs , food and I've always been attracted to Jewish religious rites from a historical point of view , I don’t know why. What I have just written may seem contradictory to you, and I apologize if it offends you. I think to you very often . Catherine ( from France)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing offensive in your comment Catherine. on the contrary. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. Please write it as you feel. I have started following to try and get a citizens view. The diet on our news feeds feels curated and manipulative. It could encourage the uninvolved to take a view without really understanding the people or the places. For my part I wish no one was dying - either side - ever - that citizens on both sides of dividing lines were safe in their homes, with their families, in their social spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yael, I am glad you are posting, I am visiting your blog often and a new post shows me you are safe. Your grandson sounds like a wise young person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terra I see you are here and it definitely cheers me up.

      Delete
  11. After a night ( so quiet here) I realise that my precedent message can be a lot rude to read. So I apologise again . Today there’s a great manifestation against antisemitism in Paris. Take care of yourself . Friendly from Catherine ( from France)France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are certainly good Catherine. Thank you.

      Delete
  12. Still thinking about you Yael. You should definitely write what you want on your blog. You are living the experience of war first hand. I have had to stop listening to the mainstream media here in the UK. I don't want people's opinions, I would rather know the facts from a lived experience. As always, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Much of my time I am upset because of such wrong opinions of people who are fed by wrong information. I don't have much to do with it. Thank you Simone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must write about your life as you live it. We get more truth from you than from the media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, that's why I'm still writing here.

      Delete
  15. I appreciate your willingness to share your war time experiences. These are very hard times. Your grandson is wise beyond his years and his love and concern for you is heartfelt and lovely. Family is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This grandson recently returned from a scientific competition in Brussels where he won second place. He is indeed a wonderful boy.

    ReplyDelete