Thursday, November 9, 2023

family


 I receive worried messages from relatives all over the world. They are all great-grandchildren of my grandmother's sisters.
From Johannesburg and Cape Town in South Africa, Copenhagen in Denmark, Sao Paulo in Brazil, Chemnitz in Germany. A small town in Alabama whose name I forgot, there are also in Australia and England but I haven't heard from them yet.                                                                                                                           These are the eight sisters. The only brother for some reason does not appear in the picture. The picture was taken around 1905 in Leipzig, Germany. The four little sisters, including my grandmother who was about five years old when the picture was taken, left Germany in 1933. My grandmother was already the mother of a six-year-old girl (my mother) and had to leave Berlin, where she lived then, and to abandon the shops she had there in Alexander Platz.                                                                Tsila, the eldest sister, left for South Africa many years before the rise of the Nazis, one of her grandsons was Nelson Mandela's advocate and had to flee South Africa, the Australians refused to accept him and that's how he came to England. He was very successful there and even became a lord.                                  Ida and her husband Jacob ran a Jewish orphanage in Oslo. The Nazis sent her husband to Auschwitz with many of their housemates. She was disabled and therefore saved.
Anna went to Alabama to meet Jacob's brother, she married him and stayed there. Bertha married a German in Chemnitz. When the Nazis wanted to take her he broke her leg and that's how she was saved.
Louisa and her husband sent one child to Denmark and one child to Israel even before the war. They did not manage to leave in time and arrived at Auschwitz.
Sophie stayed with the old father in Leipzig, he eventually managed to reach his daughter in Oslo but she did not manage to survive in Germany.
And that's why we have so many relatives all over the world.
My grandmother Dora lived here for sixty years. She never managed to learn Hebrew properly and that's why I understand German as my mother tongue.
I still miss her and the wonderful foods she made all my childhood. She was an artist, a talented painter, but there was always the feeling that she was someone who was uprooted from her roots.                                                   

20 comments:

  1. Two sisters are missing from the picture and also brother Leo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful photograph of the sisters Yael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a fascinating photograph and perhaps a little sad to look at all those young faces and then read about what happened to some of them later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all very talented, artists and musicians and good women.

      Delete
  4. What wonderful women you had in your family, brave and resourceful. And you are fortunate that the photo survived, with most of the siblings together. But it is sad that your family was so broken apart, around the world.

    When my family left Russia, they largely went to only three cities - Winnipeg in Canada, Melbourne in Australia and Jaffa in Israel. My parents loved going to family reunions every four years, but my generation probably has only on-line contact. The family newsletter is a blessing.

    Peace to all of us.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather, grandmother Dora's husband, came from Odessa to Germany. I learned most of the things about the family lately.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photo. You must treasure that family photo which carries so much history. Future generations must carry this important life story. Stay safe Yael and know I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old photos like that are real treasures. They help you pass on the family stories to the next generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The younger generations are less interested in family history, unfortunately, I also started when there was no one to ask and it required a lot of research work for two years.

      Delete
  7. I am glad to hear from you in this post; that family photo of the sisters is a treasure, and your family history is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. That's just the little I told. There is much more to tell.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful photo that is. I have a very good Jewish friend who lives in Johannesburg. He served as a Tank Commander in the Israeli Army (National service?).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought that South Africa was a difficult place to live in, today I'm not sure about anything anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a photo to treasure. You must let the next generation know their history too. The younger ones are not interested now but as they grow older I am sure they will be fascinated by their descendants stories, as I am now with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know that the time is coming when even those who are young today will start to be interested, it happens after there is no one to ask.

      Delete
  11. I've been away in Japan for 2 weeks, so I have not heard any world news on my very busy trip. I'm catching up with your blog posts now. On holiday, I shared a room with a Jewish lady from Boston USA: I've told her she must read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Barbara. I'm still a little embarrassed by the attention, but in a way that's hard for me to explain, every supportive comment is very important to me. How wonderful that you went on such a fascinating trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember that photo of all the beautiful women and girls.

    ReplyDelete