Sunday, October 29, 2023

I changed my mind

 I changed my mind. I will write here. I hope something coherent comes out because every time I start writing there is an alarm.

I write what is happaning with me here, but I always feel that I represent something bigger because this is not my private war. I am especially saddened by the stormy and large demonstrations against us all over the world and I feel helpless in the face of people's lack of understanding that we would never start such a war. What country would stand silently in the face of the murder and massacre of 1400 of its people, babies, children, innocent citizens.

In what world should a grandmother like me feel that she is risking her life when she drives for half an hour to bring her grandchildren candy and food. Yes, I did it again. Yesterday I made them the cheese fritters they like, pasta and Bolognese and a meat pie and I left. The roads are empty and it's even scarier.                                                                                                                                                                                             They are surprised every time I come and of course very happy. I don't stay there long, I'm constantly calculating when is the right time to leave before the rockets and so far I've succeeded.

The shower is also a small victory every time. I hear around me that I'm not the only one who is afraid that the roof will collapse on her head in the middle of the shower. How embarrassing. I was told not to take a shower on the round hour because on the round hour there is more chance of an alarm.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Today I went to do the annual test for my car, something that in the past I paid someone to do it for me. Since on my birthday which was the day before the war started I promised myself to overcome my fears, I went by myself and it was easy. I was the only driver there, everyone is either the army or afraid and so I got through it in five minutes.

And thanks again to everyone who comments here and I apologize again that I still don't respond personally to the comments.                                                                                                                                                                        And one more thing, I of course think in Hebrew and sometimes I use Google Translate when I'm not sure I wrote correctly, if there are sentences or some words that seem strange to you, blame Google. (I will deal with the rest of the charges later...).


25 comments:

  1. Today I was contemplating writing on what you have said in your second paragraph. I still wanted to write it all day but then I didn't. I am with you and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for carrying on with your day to day life, as best you can, given what is going on around you. It must take courage, which I am not sure that I possess.
    War is horrible for ordinary people on both sides and it must be hoped that the end must surely come soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you say both sides, I hope you know that the Palestinians and residents of Gaza are also the victims of Hamas. We have nothing against them. Hamas uses them as human shields and also in the hospitals that have become hiding places for Hamas personnel. Hamas took all the humanitarian equipment and food delivered to the residents of Gaza. And there are other things you need to know.Thank you JajCee for your concern/

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is being reported here too. It is saď to think that anyone would do that to their own people.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry JayCe if my comment sounded a bit aggressive, because of the situation I'm very sensitive to nuances even if your intention was good and I'm sure it was. I have a very hard time with the fact that now our side is becoming the aggressor in the eyes of the world and I would really like them to understand that we have no choice. These are our lives that we are fighting for here. And I want to thank you again for your comments.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Rachel. I understand the reason why not to write. On the one hand, it's a victory for the trolls when we don't express our opinion here, and on the other hand, it really saves the hassle of confronting them. You understand the situation better than many others, I know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to you insisting on living as normal a life as possible. It is what I would do and have done. Take care, as you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember that most of those demonstrators are immigrants who were given refuge in The West, having escaped from brutal Islamic regimes. Now they are supporting a brutal Islamic regime, simply because they have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro,You are among those who understand what is happening here and elsewhere, I wish I could only focus on those like you and the other commenters here. In my head I argue with those who don't understand and maybe I'll write about that too.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you did change your mind Yael. I think of you and your family all of the time. Anyone with half a brain who has researched the history of Israel would know where the problem lies. Take care , there are a lot of people worried for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a vicious world we live in Yael. After the gas chambers were emptied at the end of the Holocaust, most people believed fervently there would NEVER be murderous anti-Semitism again.

    Nations usually fight neighbouring nations over where the borders lie and where the population there needs to move to. War normally does NOT break out 10,000 ks away, on behalf one side or another in that distant war. When ethnic Albanians fought ethnic Serbs and the government of Yugoslavia in Kosovo in 1998–9, the Albanians and Serbs didn't slug it out in Brasil and New Zealand.

    Yet today I saw Jewish passengers fly into Dagestan airport in Russia being savaged and hospitalised by Hamas supporters. It was heartbreaking beyond belief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plane in Dagestan did arrive from Israel, but most of the passengers were non-Israeli women and children returning from medical treatment in Israel. Among the Israeli hostages in Gaza are people in their seventies and eighties who every week would transport patients from Gaza to medical treatment in Israel.
      What hurts me the most is that there are people who try to create a balance and talk about "both sides", there are not two sides here.

      Delete
  8. I'm am glad you are safe and able to see your grandchildren. You are brave to go out. Stay safe, Yael.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's terrible to watch to watch the news bulletins where we see the results of this terrible war. You are indeed very brave to venture out. But I can see that you must, at least try and carry on with your life. It's hard to imagine car tests, shopping, visiting amidst so much destruction. You're very brave. Be brave and be safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if I'm really brave. Some things just have to be done. Thank you Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are brave Yael, living through this takes courage. Even going out to visit your family, or even to have your car seen to. We all want an end to this terrible time. Your heartache is felt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On normal days, the annual test is one of the scariest things. The proportions change at such times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grandchildren must delight in seeing you. I'm glad to read that you are able to go about life even in the face of such uncertainty. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Living amidst the war has to be a harrowing experience. As adults, we cope but I do worry about children. Israel must defend itself and regain safety and security. I have no doubt. That said, the act of war guarantees bloodshed, loss of life and grave destruction but no resolution. I pray for resolution and hope leaders can begin to find resolution. Biden talks of a 2-state solution. Will Netanyhu support this or does he have an alternative plan?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it is good that we hear things from your perspective Yael. You are personally experiencing things we only hear second or third hand and I know there is propaganda on both sides with other countries getting involved. Life goes on and your grandchildren must feel a sense of peace and normality when you show up with your delicious food and treats.

    ReplyDelete