Sunday, January 28, 2024

This also happens here


 I went to pick up my granddaughter from school because my daughter thought she was crying on the phone. It was a mistake but the girl was happy to see me and we decided to take advantage of these late morning hours for some shopping that we haven't done together in a while. She already went shopping with her mom this year in Barcelona and twice in London and I thought the days are gone when she was so happy to spend time with me in the small shops of our small places. I was wrong.                                                   The picture here is from other days, she will be 14 next week and we went to buy a ukulele because that's what she wants for her birthday. She got into the car and immediately connected via Bluetooth to her phone and the whole way we listened to music from the sixties, I praised her for her technological ability and good taste in songs, I knew all of them. I think the Tiktok girls today are going back to the old songs for some reason.                                                                                                                         The pleasant young seller in the store said that in two hours a ukulele delivery would arrive, we said we would come back and went to other stores, today's girls buy things that I and others bought in our twenties, if anything, mostly beauty and makeup, and so we moved from store to store when I pay but she operates the cash registers For self-service that I don't dare to use them normally.                               The ukulele did arrive when we returned to the store and it was happily bought. The day before I didn't know what a ukulele was, when my daughter told me it was what the girl wanted for her birthday I thought it was something like the Australian didgeridoo and I was amazed.

It is indeed a cute musical instrument and pleasant to the ear.

31 comments:

  1. Your granddaughter seems to be a happy girl. Shopping in Barcelona and London, that's not. so usual . The girls of 14 are no more little girls today, which I regret sometimes. Already young adults with make up and no.more dressed like young children but sometimes already in sexy dresses. We call it modern life. So a very happy birthday to her. May her future be bright.
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your granddaughter, she is just a few months older than my only granddaughter. I hope that she enjoys learning to play her ukulele.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances. I haven't heard her play yet, I guess that will happen too.

      Delete
  3. Shopping in Barcelona was a Bat Mitzvah gift (a twelfth birthday that was postponed for a year) and she accompanied her mother on her work trips to London. She is still a child to my delight, dresses with good taste and is appropriate for her age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looks pretty and of course for a grandmother she will be always her "grandchild".
      Birgit

      Delete
  4. How lovely to spend that time with your granddaughter, doing such simple and enjoyable things

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oldest granddaughter has a very fine voice and a fabulous memory for lyrics. But what surprises me each time is that she knows as many hits from the 1960s as she knows from the 1990-2020 era. I love singing Beatles and Leonard Cohen songs with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice for you both to have such a pleasant day together. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter! May her life be filled with peace, love and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your granddaughter. She sounds like a lovely and grounded girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her maturity always amazes me, this is a different generation for sure.

      Delete
  8. Happy B-day to your granddaughter. Shopping together sounds like so much fun. She is an experienced international shopper when traveling with her mother...which I find lovely. My friends daughter asked to go to NYC for 3 days for her Bat Mitzvah. These girls know how to travel well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself don't like shopping, but with her the experience is different.

      Delete
  9. What a happy and fun afternoon with your granddaughter! This is the kind of day that you will both fondly remember for a long time. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter! She'll be playing songs on her ukulele in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw on YouTube that it is very easy to learn to play the ukulele and I trust her that it will be so.

      Delete
  10. It's lovely to read about your granddaughter. Happy Birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to the budding musician. She has good taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised by the selection of songs.

      Delete
  12. What a great time you had with your granddaughter! I have three young grandsone an I doubt whether they will want to go shopping with their old grandma when they are teenagers.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has two brothers who give up this pleasure every time I offer them.

      Delete
  13. There are lots of 'Ukulele Orchestras' over here, they are very popular. I'm sure you can find them on YouTube. It's a great instrument to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a mini banjo when I was her age but I didn't play it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandmother was quite old by the time I was born.Her hand-knitting me a pair of mittens let me feel as though she wanted to take care of me.I imagine your granddaughter feels your love for her, too.Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photo of your granddaughter choosing a suitcase

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun shopping trip with your granddaughter and I hope she will love playing her ukelele. In my post today I share a painting of my dog and he is playing a ukelele in it (artist's idea). There are a couple ukelele clubs in my town, the players seem like they have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Terrra. I will come visit your blog with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a great trip with you and your grand daughter. Great to see in this difficult times..

    ReplyDelete