Sunday, May 23, 2021

The day after

 It is very easy to get addicted to silence. How strange that in one moment everything is back to the way it was. Not really. On Thursday I went to the funeral in Jerusalem and I was very afraid that just before the ceasefire there would be missiles on Jerusalem, my daughter asked me to think twice about taking such a risk, but I went anyway. It was quiet but on the way back the sky above me was filled with the fireballs of Iron Dome.

At night there were still alarms until ten to two and from two at night the silence began. It's temporary silence, we all know that.

I no longer hear the noises of the shelling and interceptions of the Iron Dome, the crashes of the rockets and all those sounds of war that were around here.

Tomorrow I will go see my grandchildren who have finally come out into the fresh air after 11 days.

I feel terrible and very sad when I see the pictures from Gaza, the simple people there are the real victims of a terrorist organization that has taken over their lives. The Hamas hides under their houses and from there their missiles are fired at us, they use children and women as human shields. All the cement and concrete and money they received to rebuild life there they poured into the purchase of weapons, rockets and missiles.

Here too people have lost their lives and their homes, but we have a government that will always take care of us and not abandon us. There they are lost because of Hamas. We provide them with electricity, water, and treat their wounded in our hospitals.

It's very hard to be the bad guys in this story, but it's important to remember that there is no country in the world where the civilian population has been bombarded for years with missiles and rockets. We have no other way to protect ourselves.

I very much hope that my next posts will be about shopping trips that my granddaughter loves so much. I promised her this  what we shall do after the virus disappeared.






30 comments:

  1. I don't understand why Hamas wants to live this way. Don't they love their children and grandchildren, too? How can anyone resign themselves to living in constant war? I truly don't understand, and I'm so sorry for you and everyone on both sides who must live like this and endure such tragedy. It's all so pointless.

    I'm glad you and your family continue to be safe. Thank you for giving us some perspective on the situation. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very important to me that the world understands our side, we never started shooting at civilians. I hope they understand us.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your post Yael, I was wondering how things are. Difficult to thinkof how you cope with a generation (or 2) never having lived in peace and free of fear. As you say its the people who suffer, not the ones causing the problems.
    Hope you get your shopping trips soon. Enjoy your hugs and smiles.
    Kathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily for us the kids are not anxious. They are very aware of what is happening but are happy and behave in a completely normal way.

      Delete
  3. I'm not so optimistic about the change in their position Rachel. The only thing they want is that we will not exist here, and that of course will not happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not either. That is why I said an epiphany. A revelation.

      Delete
    2. I always keep telling Rachel, that you are one of the few who really understand what is going on here. I was wrong this time reading the things you wrote.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for keeping in touch. I am grateful for your voice, your thoughts about the experience of silence, and the photos of your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you am. Thank you for your support during this difficult time.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for writing and letting us know how you and your family are doing. I imagine it was frightening for you to go to Jerusalem before the ceasefire. You are very kind to be so supportive of a friend's funeral despite the dangers. It is good for you to write about the things going on there because many people do not understand. The internet helps to make the world a smaller place so I am hopeful that more people will see all of what is happening and understand a little better. It is so wrong for Hamas to continue to use innocent people as shields as they do. I am glad that your government does not abandon you. I too hope that we will soon hear about you and your granddaughter spending a wonderful day out shopping and enjoying each other's company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie, your words and those of others here have been very helpful to me during this difficult time.

      Delete
  6. So pleased to see your post. It is always better to hear from someone directly concerned with what is happening, than to read in newspapers what is often biased opinions.
    I hope you and your grand daughter 'hit' the shops soon!!
    A little bit of normality goes a long way in restoring equilibrum to the human soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. You've been here all these years since I started this blog, and your friendship is very significant to me.

      Delete
  7. Eleven days of bombs and lives lost. This is frightening. Now cease fire. Will peaceful co-existence be achieved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone understands that it is only temporary, meanwhile enjoying the quiet there is.

      Delete
  8. Here's to a wonderful and prolonged shopping trip for you and the grands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the meantime we do everything with very great care. Everything can come back at any moment.

      Delete
  9. What you describe here is exactly what I tell people all the time. I think that Israel has been incredibly patient with Hamas; I too feel so sorry for the ordinary people of Gaza. Such a terrible waste of money that could have done so much good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always understood that. That's why you also managed to upset the trolls who surprisingly did not come to our blogs this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot imagine living with the stress that you must have experienced so many times and I hope that the ceasefire lasts and your grandchild can have many more shopping trips. It is a good thing that children are naturally resilient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sum up the terrible situation very clearly Yael and what it is like for the innocent populations. I hope the silence continues and you can go shopping

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are experiencing silence and a quiet which we all hope will continue and be permanent. Hopefully life will return to normal and the simple act of shopping will feel secure. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to read your Yael, keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You deserve to take some rest Yael ,but so happy to ready your blog posts again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. Everything is fine here. Quiet and calm. I'm busy with a few things, I hope to write something soon.

      Delete
  17. Your information is very detailed and useful to me, thank you for sharing.

    Regards,
    Online Dissertation Help

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yael,is it ok for me to copy parts of your emails, explaining the situation in your country and passing them on to a few people I have been educating about it .?
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is ok. You have my permission. I thank you so much Kathy.

    ReplyDelete