Saturday, March 30, 2019

Grandmothers

My grandmother and her seven sisters about a hundred years ago, they were ten girls and a boy in Germany, some of them dispersed in the world , some disappeared in the world war, sometimes I discover distant relatives in South Africa, Norway, Denmark, England or the USA, I do not do .anything with it.My grandmother is the small girl sitting on the left side. She was an artist and we still have here some of her paintings. She lived with my parents and even after 50 years here she could not speak Hebrew well, so she spoke to me in German and i spoke to her in in Hebrew', that's why I can understand German so well .

18 comments:

  1. Lovely photo Yael. I would sit and look at it many times which I am sure you do. So many memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely photo! Ten girls!!! It is wonderful you have the photo - a visual window into the past. I love family history and in seeing old photos always wonder what stories those pictured could tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them had very interesting life stories.

      Delete
  3. So many sisters! I'll bet they could tell some interesting stories growing up in such a large family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are a lot of interesting stories,but some of them died very young so we don't know.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful women and girls, easy to look over for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that was 100 years ago. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely photo of your Oma and her sisters. Dark-haired beauties were they. The Jewish Diaspora reaches so far and wide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful photo that is. All so relaxed and informal. Usually photos of that era are very stiff and posed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few more, maybe I'll write about them too.

      Delete
  8. What a marvellous family photo and amazing that you still have it. So many sisters, no wonder you are finding family all over the world. Knowing your grandmother and her history is so very interesting. My grandmothers came from Enlgand. Was it International Grandmotherss Day yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They came to me in sad circumstances when someone in the family died, there is more. I do not know about International Grandma Day, I'll check.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should write the history of your family so future generations will not forget their lives.

    ReplyDelete